Advanced Engineering Materials [MSc]
This masters course provides you with an in-depth understanding of the key factors that govern the design and selection of materials for use in advanced engineering applications, as well as their processing, properties and stability. The School of Materials is the largest school of Materials Engineering in Europe, it is rated 5* and offers an unrivalled breadth of research in Materials Science. With a focus on composites, advanced alloys, and functional engineering ceramics, this MSc will enable you to:
- Develop a detailed knowledge of state-of-the-art materials systems
- Find out how 21st century materials perform and survive in hostile conditions
- Learn how their structure is engineered from the nanoscale upwards
- Discover the technologies used in their manufacture and processing
- Develop skills in materials selection and engineering design
Accredited by the Institute of Minerals, Materials and Mining (IOM3) as meeting the Further Learning requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- to convey detailed knowledge of current, state of the art materials systems, with a focus on composites, advanced alloys, and functional and engineering ceramics
- to explore the technologies used in the manufacture and processing of advanced materials
- to provide an understanding of the relationships between composition, microstructure, processing, and performance
- to explore how materials perform in service and survive in hostile conditions
- to train students in the essential skills needed to select and design the next generation of high performance engineering materials
- to provide a sure foundation for a future career in industry or research
Who is this programme for?
- Students from a strong materials background who wish to gain more specialised knowledge of the principles, structure, processing and design of advanced engineering materials.
- Graduates from engineering and science backgrounds who wish to specialise in materials engineering.
- 2.2 UK Honours degree or equivalent, or an approved combination of educational qualification and industrial experience.
- TOEFL >570; IELTS >6.5 we offer three, five and a 10-week pre-course English language programme.
The masters course in Advanced Engineering Materials provides you with an in-depth understanding of the key factors that govern the design and selection of materials for use in advanced engineering applications, as well as their processing, properties and stability.
The majority of graduates of this programme go on to fill key posts as materials scientists, engineers, managers and consultants in academia, industry and research and development. Some advance to PhD degrees within the School.
Where are they now?
MSc Advanced Engineering Materials
"One of the things that helped me get to my current position was making the most of the strong connections that the University has with industries."
Colin is a reader in Materials Science
"The breadth of this subject, covering both science and engineering, coupled with the individual and group research, communication and management skills that we develop, ensure our graduates are highly employable and have the potential to quickly adopt central positions in key areas.