Postgraduate study at a world ranking university
Join the largest Department of Materials in Europe and embark on a forward-thinking postgraduate degree designed around the demands of industry.
Academically challenging and forward-thinking, our postgraduate degree content is driven by industry. We invite many to work alongside us in our strategic development, in order to retain our international standing as a centre of excellence and innovation in materials.
Places available for Autumn 2021
Looking to advance your career, deepen your expertise or get ahead in the job market?
Find more information on what a taught master's at Manchester could look like for you, the funding available and how to apply for an October 2021 start.
Additionally, re-watch talks from our recent virtual open week, chat to our students and explore our virtual tours here, or use the finder below to find out more about the courses on offer, funding options and how to apply.
- National research centres in performance of materials and imaging of materials, giving us unique capability to process and analyse materials of all types
- 100% of our research environment rated "internationally excellent" or "world-leading" (REF 2014)
- State-of-the-art research facilities including an nanofabrication equipment and cell culture laboratories
- We are 4th in the UK for Materials Sciences (QS World University Rankings 2021)
- Our Athena SWAN Silver award recognises our commitment to gender equality
Excellence in teaching
As we adapt to the impact of Covid-19, one thing is sure: our teaching remains world-class. We will ensure you receive the highest standards of education, whether you feel happy coming to campus or not. This includes:
- The chance to get involved in multidisciplinary, industry-driven research that delivers significant impact on society and commerce
- Exceptional breadth of research and training in materials engineering, cutting-edge textile design and fashion business
- An opportunity to collaborate with world leaders in their fields
- An unrivalled boost to your employability prospects with skills-driven courses
Coronavirus and ensuring the highest-quality student experience
Our commitment to giving you a world-class education is our priority. In spite of the obstacles put in place by the coronavirus, we are determined to ensure the best possible student experience. So please be assured - at every stage of your time with us, we will support you. Together we will navigate the major challenges beyond our control to make Manchester your place of study and your second home. Manchester’s here for you. We’ll help you find your future.
Access to funding
The Faculty of Science and Engineering have developed a Postgraduate Loyalty Bursary for Alumni of the University. You can benefit from a loyalty bursary of up to £2,200 for any of our Faculty of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Taught or Research courses, paid to you automatically after registration. Terms and conditions apply. You can find out more about our loyalty bursary on our bursary page.
As a postgraduate student in Materials, you'll have access to our excellent research and teaching facilities.
If we can provide you with any information or advice to help you make your decision, please let us know.